Monday, August 17, 2009

He is my brother

Evan is very protective of his brother Jack. When we take a walk, he wants Jack to either hold my hand or his hand as we cross the street. If he doesn't, Evan totally freaks out and gets so worried that he will run in the street. I am grateful that Evan is concerned about Jack and freaks out so that I know there is a potential problem. Yesterday at church we were getting ready to leave but Jack did not want to hold my hand and he was running all around the building. I played the typical "parent card" and told Jack that we would have to leave him if he didn't come with me. He of course didn't come and so I said "OK, we are leaving now" and started walking away. Evan totally freaked out and said "Don't leave him - he is my brother". I almost cried I was so touched by Evan's recognition that he has a brother and we are a family. We talked a lot about family before Lauren was born, so that Evan knew that she was coming to be a part of our family, etc. That concept really took hold in him and he counts who is in our family every day.

2 comments:

Pemberley Court said...

Oh Andrea!!!! That is so sweet that it brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Anonymous said...

He is so sweet and I'm glad to see that really cares about Jack when he beats on him all day every day.
They are going to be best friends!!
- Alli